Curb Your Litter: Greenpoint
Curb Your Litter: Greenpoint will reduce the amount of litter in Greenpoint green spaces, streets and sewers. By incorporating waste education and outreach in all project phases, Curb Your Litter will encourage residents, local businesses and students to reduce their overall waste and the importance of proper disposal.
Key Partners + Activities
- Host a series of Community Cleanup days kicking off in June 2015 in partnership with Greenpoint-based Neighbors Allied for Good Growth
- Launch a neighborhood-wide anti-litter campaign designed by Partner & Partners
- Conduct the first ever comprehensive waste and litter analysis of Greenpoint with Closed Loops and the NYC Department of Sanitation
- Build an interactive website for citizens to influence the placement of new cans.
- Create a waste education video series with the Center for Urban Pedagogy to teach students at the Frances Perkins Academy about trash infrastructure, the impact of litter on the community, and how to become mentors to their peers.
- Incentivize local businesses to keep their streets and storefronts litter free with the Clean Greenpoint Pledge developed by Councilman Stephen Levin (D33) and the Chamber
- Install several new litter baskets, recycling systems and BigBelly solar compactors throughout the neighborhood in early 2017, with a special focus on Eastern Greenpoint